International Center for Human Rights Research
The International Center for Human Rights Research (CIIDH) in Guatemala was formed in 1993 to support and seek justice for victims of the Guatemalan civil war CIIDH focused on investigating past human rights abuses and winning reparations for victims of the Guatemalan civil war, as well as protecting political rights in the postwar era. The Guatemala City-based organization began budget work and policy advocacy in 1997 after the Peace Accords. In addition to promoting political reconciliation under the Accords, the CIIDH monitored military spending in Guatemala and has since expanded the scope of its work to include research and advocacy on fiscal policy, analysis of social spending, and the promotion of budget transparency and accountability in Guatemala. As part of the Partnership Initiative, the CIIDH would like to ensure that the conditional cash transfer program MIFAPRO, or Mi Familia Progresa, is able to continue in a much more stable institutional environment, as the program is an important mechanism for public investment in social policy. The CIIDH hopes to learn from other conditional cash transfer programs in Latin America and use this knowledge to develop policy proposals that improve transparency and strengthen MIFAPRO in Guatemala. Read CIIDH’s Profile
- Jorge Alberto Santos Contreras Coordinador General
- Mario Celada Coordinator of Fiscal and Budget Studies
- Carla Caxaj Researcher
- +502 2220 2736 | +502 2232 5121
- +502 2230 1841
- 5ta Calle 1-49 Zona 1 Ciudad de Guatemala Guatemala. C.A.
Area of Expertise
CIIDH was founded in 1993 to promote and defend human rights in Guatemala. It has experience in monitoring military budgets but has focused on research and advocacy for first and second generation rights. Their 2003–2005 strategic plan includes recommendations to strengthen institutional capacities to monitor government spending against economic, social, and cultural rights’ commitments and bulid the capacity of urban and rural coalitions, movements, and networks to do the same.
Major Current Activities
- CIIDH's Profile 2011 – Briefly describes the main budget analysis and advocacy activities of the organization and its involvement with the International Budget Partnership's Partnership Initiative.
- CIIDH seeks to monitor and better align government expenditure with the government's commitment to economic, social, and cultural rights and improve budget transparency and public management.