The International Budget Partnership (IBP) collaborates with civil society organizations in countries around the world to use budget analysis and advocacy as a tool to improve governance and reduce poverty. Established in 1997, IBP is based in Washington, DC. IBP and its partners conduct research and advocate at national and international levels for improvements in budget transparency, participation and accountability.
We are currently seeking applications for the following positions. To stay informed of upcoming opportunities, subscribe to our newsletter here.
Country Manager for South Africa
IBP’s work in country is focused on strengthening the impact of civil society advocacy on country level budget policies and outcomes. Through deep and sustained engagement within countries, IBP provides support to build expertise and skills of civil society actors involved in budget advocacy. It also strengthens the partnerships and dialogue between these groups and other stakeholders in the budget process, including government. IBP-organized advocacy, research, technical assistance, and networking are all integral components of IBP’s work in country.
IBP seeks to appoint a Country Manager for South Africa to lead the country team in Cape Town. The Country Manager will be responsible for implementing IBP’s country strategy for South Africa. Please note that candidates must be eligible for employment in South Africa (e.g., South African citizen or Permanent Resident status).
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Leads and directs strategic planning and priority setting for IBP’s country strategy in South Africa
- Leads and directs the implementation of IBP’s country strategy, including identifying key program partners, and planning and providing the optimum mix of support needed to increase the impact of CSO partners in realizing improved budget policy and outcomes
- Manages relations with all partners, facilitating connections between CSO partners and other accountability actors as appropriate or necessary, and representing IBP in meetings and conferences within the country and the region
- Manages and oversees grants to partners
- Ensures partners are provided with capacity building, research support and technical assistance needed in a timely manner, including facilitating workshops with program partners, and helping to design and complete research needed to enhance advocacy efforts.
- Develops and monitors annual operational budgets, and reports on the country strategy internally within IBP and to IBP donors as may be required
- Coordinates with all other IBP teams as may be required to support, document, and/or review the implementation of IBP country strategy and other IBP in-country work
- Reaches out to funding in/for the country, as may be designated by IBP Executive Director
- Ensures that IBP country strategy team uphold IBP’s shared values in all aspects of their work
- May be required to manage and oversee administration and logistics of the South Africa country office, including all grants from the DC office of IBP
- Master’s degree in social science, economics, or a related development field, required
- Minimum 6-8 years’ experience in public finance management, government budgeting or public policy, or related development field in South Africa
- Deep and extensive experience in civil society advocacy campaigns and engagements
- Strategic thinker, strong analytical and strategy development skills, and strong in identifying and addressing challenges
- Strong interpersonal skills for leading and directing the country team in South Africa, as well as for managing IBP’s relationships with CSO partners and other accountability actors
- Strong management skills, including grant management, and program implementation of advocacy and research undertakings
- Superior written and verbal English communication skills
- Must be a RSA citizen or have a permanent RSA resident permit
- Willingness to travel nationally and overseas, when necessary.
Commensurate with experience, very competitive benefits.
Send a cover application letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Country Manager for South Africa” in the subject area. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
International Budget Partnership is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.