Youth for Social Development (YSD) is an independent, nonprofit social research and development organization established in 2005 by a group of professionals who are committed to improving the lives of the tribal, rural, and urban poor in Orissa state in India. YSD undertakes research, public education, capacity building, documentation, dissemination, people-centered advocacy, and participatory development action. YSD seeks to promote sustainable livelihood, influence public policy and finance, and improve democratic governance for the betterment of the state and its residents.
YSD believes that there is a need to:
- analyze government policies and programs that impact the poor and vulnerable groups;
- introduce innovative dimensions of budgeting, policy formulation, and performance mapping into the government; and
- develop new ways and innovations for demanding greater transparency and accountability in the government and encourage broader citizen engagement at the grass roots level.
The Centre for Local Government Budget and Policy Research, a YSD program, researches governance issues that affect the socioeconomic life of the vulnerable communities where YSD operates. The Centre acquires knowledge and conducts analysis on local government budgets and policies. Also, the Centre offers information and skills training to a wide range of stakeholders, including government agencies, students, CSOs, elected representatives, public officials, media and the general public.
The specific objectives of the Centre are to:
- assess local government budgets and policies, their implementation and impact on vulnerable communities in Odisha;
- provide research‐based information and analysis to policymakers, policy implementers, media, and other stakeholders that can help set the agenda for good governance and social accountability; and
- enhance the quality and effectiveness of local public expenditure through discourse on local government budget and policy issues among civil society, government agencies, and the public.
- Bibhu Sahu Secretary
- (680) 320-5464
- Youth for Social Development (YSD) 6th Lane, Medical Bank Colony, Bapuji Nagar, BERHAMPUR-760 004 Ganjam, Orissa, INDIA
Area of Expertise
- Access to information
- Human rights
- Poverty alleviation
- Transparency and accountability
- Women's rights
PublicationsReports from the Centre's research projects are available on the YSD publications page
Major Current Activities
The Centre for Local Government Budget and Policy Research's research projects include:
- Assessment of Public Service Delivery in Berhampur City - Citizen Report Card
- Urban Corruption Survey in Brahmapur, Orissa - Bribery Index
- Social Audit of Public Distribution System - Community Score Card
- Citizen Monitoring of Implementation of Right to Information - Community Score Card
- Citizen Monitoring of PMGSY Rural Roads
- Citizen Monitoring of National Rural Employment Guarantee Act - Community Score Card
- Information Bank on Municipal Budget Policies