University Research Center for Economic and Social Development of the University of Burundi
The Centre Universitaire de Recherche pour le Développement Economique et Social (University Research Center for Economic and Social Development of the University of Burundi, or CURDES) produces basic and applied research in economic, administrative, and social areas of development concern. Through its research, the organization aims to contribute to the training of future researchers and teachers and collect, process, and disseminate socioeconomic information.
- Gilbert Niyongabo Professor and Executive Committee Member
Unesco Avenue, Building Uprona
Bujumbura, Burundi 128
Area of Expertise
- Poverty alleviation
- Transparency and accountability
- CURDES partnered with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on the consultancy on Post-Agenda 2015 report
- CURDES research was used in the International Monetary Fund’s Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper
- CURDES partners with the World Economic Forum for the Global Competitive Index
- CURDES published two papers under UNICEF supervision on public investment for tackling malnutrition and budget allocation
Major Current Activities
CURDES is engaged with other stakeholders to advocate for more budget and resource allocation to children and has published research to show that more public investment could help combat malnutrition and poverty in Burundi. CURDES is also involved in budget orientation and tracking and as part of its research initiatives.