Fundar was created in January 1999 with the goal of strengthening public participation in decision making and deepening democracy. Since then, budget and policy analysis has become the core area of activity of the institution. As part of the Partnership Initiative, Fundar will continue to develop and implement advocacy strategies aimed at transforming the budget process in Mexico. PI will support research and monitoring activities that focus on health sector spending and infrastructure and access to health at the local level, with an emphasis on marginalized communities. Read Fundar’s Profile
- Haydee Perez Executive Director
- Diego de la Mora Budget and Public Policy Coordinator
- +5255 5554 3001
- +5255 5554 3001 ext 140
- Cerrada de Alberto Zamora núm. 21 Col. Vlila Coyoacán, Del. Coyoacán C.P. 04000 México D.F. México
Area of Expertise
Budget analysis and advocacy, transparency, government accountabliity, access to information, human rights, health policy and budgets, land subsidies, and oil revenues.
- Judicial Reviews: An Innovative Mechanism to Enforce Human Rights in Latin America, 2014, report on three successful cases where the judiciary made innovative rulings to restore and enforce the right to education, to an adequate policy for internally displaced people, and to health.
- Health, Citizenship, and Human Rights Advocacy Initiative: Improving Access to Health Services in Mexico, 2013, case study of a successful advocacy strategy on health policy.
- Evidence for Change: The Case of Subsidios al Campo in Mexico, 2012, case study on the use of Mexico's freedom of information laws to obtain official data on the recipients of agricultural subsidies.
- ELLA Materials List, 2012, gathers publications, videos, interviews, briefs, case studies and reports that documents experiences related to budgeting in Latin America.
- El Centro Nacional de Derechos Humanos: Un caso de discrecionalidad y derroche de recursos públicos by Miguel Pulido, 2008 – Reviews the work of promotion and vigliance of the human rights in Mexico of the National Commission of Human Rights, making an evaluation on the accountability mechanisms of the National Center of Human Rights, created to conduct research
- Diagnóstico de la negociación presupuestaria 2006-2007 by David Dávlia and Llia Caballero, 2007 –Shows the budget negotiation process of the first year of the LX Legislature, based on the monitor activities realized by Fundar. This analysis identifies the main strengths and weaknesses of the legislative power whlie the negotiation of the budget.
- Rendición de cuentas, acceso a la información y transparencia en los presupuestos públicos by Alicia Athié, 2005 – As part of a major project of access to information, this handbook specifically shows the use of the mechanisms for access to budget information and all the ways the citizenry has to know the budget and use it for advocacy purposes.
Major Current Activities
- Fundar's Profile 2011 – Briefly describes the main budget analysis and advocacy activities of the organization and its involvement with the International Budget Partnership’s Partnership Initiative.
- Coordination of the Latin American Budget Transparency Index
- Budget monitoring of oil revenues and close collaboration with Congress on this issue
- Legislative Watch that conducts weekly updates on the agenda, activities, and decisions of the Budget Committee in Congress
- Evaluation of the Mlilennium Development Goals using budget analysis in collaboration with other organizations
- Developed a subnational index of budget transparency
- Work on maternal health and public budgets at federal level and in three states