The Support for Advocacy and Training to Health Initiatives (SATHI) began its work in Maharashtra in 1998. SATHI is animated by the goal of eliminating health inequalities through universal access to appropriate health care services. SATHI aims to build coalitions at both the local and national level in order to realize the goal of “health for all.” Its advocacy spans three major types of work. It is engaged in monitoring and evaluation — working to implement the community monitoring aspect of India’s National Rural Health Mission at the national level through the Advisory Group on Community Action and at the local level, as the nodal nongovernmental organization in the state of Maharashtra. SATHI conducts research on inequalities in health provision at the state level, with a focus on malnutrition, health access, and health status. And SATHI has taken a leadership role in training community health workers through the ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activists) program, both at the state and local level. SATHI’s Partnership Initiative project will focus on monitoring the procurement of medicines (work that they have done in the past) but adding a budget connection to its work. The organization is based in Pune and has strong links with local organizations with whom they will collaborate for this project. Read SATHI’s Profile
- Dr. Nilangi Sardeshpande Associate Coordinator
- +91 20 2545 1413 | +91 20 2545 2325
- +91 20 2545 1413
- SATHI (Action Centre of Anusandhan Trust) Flat 3 & 4, Aman (E) Terrace Plot 140, Dahanukar Colony Kothrud, Pune – 411 029 Maharashtra, INDIA
Area of Expertise
Research and advocacy on health rights and equity and the procurement of medicines, community based monitoring of health services, ASHA (Accredited Social Health Worker) training program.
- SATHI's publications can be found here.
Major Current Activities
- SATHI's Profile 2011 - Briefly describes the main budget analysis and advocacy activities of the organization and its involvement with the International Budget Partnership's Partnership Initiative.
- Study of the utilization of RKS and untied funds in select PHCs and CHSCs from the Pune District of Maharashtra;
- Developing capacities for using community oriented evidence towards strengthening district health planning in Maharashtra State;
- Community based monitoring of health services under NRHM;
- Arogya Hakka Sahayog Prakalp (Health rights partnership project);
- "Maharashtra Health Equity and Rights Watch" project.