Kenya: How to Read and Use the Budget Estimates
Publication Type: Guides & Training Materials
May 2016 | by Jason Lakin, Ph.D
This guide is part of IBP Kenya’s series on how to read and use key budget documents in Kenya at national and county level. This edition looks at the Budget Estimates, which are tabled in the National Assembly and the County Assemblies on the 30th of April each year. The Budget Estimates are among the most important budget documents in Kenya’s annual budget cycle; effectively, they are the final document in the budget process, setting the total spending at the level of ministries and programs.
Each guide in this series uses a specific document as an example. In this case, we use Kenya’s 2016/17 national Budget Estimates (FY 2016/17) released in April 2016. However, the key questions in this guide should also be helpful for reading any county budget.
- Kenya: How to Read and Use the Budget Estimates (IBP Guide, May 2016)
- Kenya Budget Estimates for FY 2016-17 (related documents)
- Kenya: Analysis of the 2016/17 National Budget Estimates (June 2016)
- Kenya: Steps to Read and Analyze A Sector in County and National Budgets (IPB Kenya Memorandum, May 2016)
- Steps to Read and Analyze a Sector in Your County Budget – Nairobi Health Sector Example (IPB Kenya Memorandum, May 2016)
- Kenya: How to Read and Use a Budget Policy Statement and a County Fiscal Strategy Paper (IBP Guide, February 2016)
- Kenya: Analysis of Budget Policy Statement 2016 (IBP Paper, February 2016)
- How to Read and Use Kenya’s Budget Review and Outlook Paper (IBP Guide, January 2016)
- IBP Kenya’s Analysis of the 2015 National Budget Review and Outlook Paper (IBP Paper, January 2016)