Jan 29, 2018
IBP considers countries that score above 60 on the Open Budget Index as providing sufficient budget information to enable the public to engage in budget discussions in an informed manner. IBP considers countries scoring above 60 on participation and oversight as providing adequate opportunities for the public to participate in the budget process and providing adequate oversight practices, respectively.
Transparency (Open Budget Index)
out of 100
Georgia provides the public with extensive budget information.
How Has the Open Budget Index Score Changed Over Time?
Recommendations for Improving Transparency
Georgia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Provide detailed data on the financial position of the government, and provide more information on extra-budgetary funds in the Executive’s Budget Proposal.
- Provide more information on the comparisons between the original macroeconomic forecast and the actual outcome in the Year-End Report.
out of 100
Georgia provides few opportunities for the public to engage in the budget process.
How Does Public Participation Compare to Other Countries in the Region?
Recommendations for Improving Participation
Georgia should prioritize the following actions to improve public participation in its budget process:
- Pilot mechanisms for members of the public and executive branch officials to exchange views on national budget matters during both the formulation of the national budget and the monitoring of its implementation. These mechanisms could build on innovations, such as participatory budgeting and social audits. For examples of such mechanisms, see fiscaltransparency.net/mechanisms.
- Hold legislative hearings on the formulation of the annual budget, during which any member of the public or civil society organizations can testify.
Budget Oversight (by Legislature & Audit)
out of 100
The legislature and supreme audit institution in Georgia provide adequate oversight of the budget.
To What Extent Does the Legislature Provide Budget Oversight?
The legislature provides adequate oversight during the budget cycle. This score reflects that the legislature provides limited oversight during the planning stage of the budget cycle and adequate oversight during the implementation stage of the budget cycle.
To What Extent Does the Supreme Audit Institution Provide Budget Oversight?
The supreme audit institution provides adequate budget oversight.
Recommendations for Improving Oversight
Georgia should prioritize the following actions to make budget oversight more effective:
- Ensure a legislative committee examines and publishes a report on the Audit Report online.
- Ensure audit processes are reviewed by an independent agency.