Jan 29, 2018
IBP considers countries that score above 60 on the Open Budget Index as providing sufficient budget information to enable the public to engage in budget discussions in an informed manner. IBP considers countries scoring above 60 on participation and oversight as providing adequate opportunities for the public to participate in the budget process and providing adequate oversight practices, respectively.
Transparency (Open Budget Index)
out of 100
Ukraine provides the public with limited budget information.
How Has the Open Budget Index Score Changed Over Time?
Recommendations for Improving Transparency
Ukraine should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Mid-Year Review.
- Increase the information provided on budget performance and on the financial position of the government in the Executive’s Budget Proposal, and provide more detailed explanations for how the budget is linked to policy.
- Provide comparisons between original macroeconomic forecasts and actual outcomes in the Year-End Report.
out of 100
Ukraine provides few opportunities for the public to engage in the budget process.
How Does Public Participation Compare to Other Countries in the Region?
Recommendations for Improving Participation
Ukraine should prioritize the following actions to improve public participation in its budget process:
- Pilot mechanisms for members of the public and executive branch officials to exchange views on national budget matters during the monitoring of the implementation of the budget. These mechanisms could build on innovations, such as participatory budgeting and social audits. For examples of such mechanisms, see fiscaltransparency.net/mechanisms.
- Hold legislative hearings on the formulation of the annual budget, during which any member of the public or civil society organizations can testify.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to assist the supreme audit institution in participating in relevant audit investigations.
Budget Oversight (by Legislature & Audit)
out of 100
The legislature and supreme audit institution in Ukraine provide adequate oversight of the budget.
To What Extent Does the Legislature Provide Budget Oversight?
The legislature provides adequate oversight during the budget cycle. This score reflects that the legislature provides adequate oversight during the planning stage of the budget cycle and adequate oversight during the implementation stage of the budget cycle.
To What Extent Does the Supreme Audit Institution Provide Budget Oversight?
The supreme audit institution provides adequate budget oversight.
Recommendations for Improving Oversight
Ukraine should prioritize the following actions to make budget oversight more effective:
- Ensure audit processes are reviewed by an independent agency.
- Consider setting up an independent fiscal institution to further strengthen budget oversight.
The information on this page presents a partial country summary. For more detailed information, please download: